The links on this site may be affiliate links which means we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nothing says summertime in the US like Red, White, and Blue Gluten Free Shortcake! Homemade whipped cream, gluten free shortcakes, ice cream and berries, berries and more berries! Yum! 🙂
You wouldn’t even know this dessert was gluten and soy free if I didn’t tell you! It is seriously that good!
In honor of Independence Day we chose to go Red, White, and Blue but you could certainly choose your favorite fruit for topping. Blackberries or Peaches would be really good too.
Gluten Free Shortcake
I can’t take the credit for the gluten free shortcakes in this recipe. For this dessert, I used this Drop Biscuit or Shortcake recipe from Namaste Foods and used their Gluten Free Perfect Flour blend. These premixed blends can be very convenient for anyone just getting started with gluten free baking. These shortcakes would make a really good savory biscuit, as well. Garlic Powder, Rosemary and some cheese would make these a fabulous cheddar biscuit. Hmmmm, we might be having biscuits with dinner. LOL! 😉
What shortcake would be complete without whipped cream? Since making this recipe, I have gone dairy free as part of the SIBO elimination diet. If you can tolerate dairy, I would definitely advocate for full fat, homemade, whipped cream. Mmmmm! So Good! I have seen some recipes for dairy free whipped cream made with coconut cream, but have not tried them yet, so I cannot attest to the results.
As mentioned above, any combo of berries and/or fruit would be great for this dessert. We used strawberries and blueberries this time. A scant 1/2 teaspoon sugar is added to the washed and trimmed berries to help them breakdown and make a bit of juice (macerate). Typically 1-2 tablespoons of sugar would be used, but as a diabetic, I try to cut out as much extra sugar as possible. Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar to your own tastes and dietary needs.
In trying to eliminate soy, I found that I had to eliminate most traditional ice cream brands. 🙁 Almost all of the conventional brands list the dreaded “natural flavors”. If you are soy free, you probably already know that “natural flavors” may contain soy. Unfortunately, in my brain, when I see “natural flavors” my brain starts screaming
“WARNING! HALT! STOP! DO NOT PROCEED, DO NOT PASS GO!!!!”
Now, does this mean that all “natural flavors” = soy? No, of course not, but definitely need to be cautious. I am so happy that I found Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss Ice Cream. Coconut Bliss Ice Cream is organic, dairy, soy, and gluten free… and really, really good! My favorites are Chocolate Peanut butter, Chocolate Walnut Brownie, and Vanilla Island.
Red, White, and Blue Gluten Free Shortcake is the perfect dessert to make ahead. Gluten free shortcakes can be baked ahead of time (even a day or two before). The whipped cream can be made a few hours in advance, then placed in the fridge to chill. I like to put a piece of plastic wrap over the bowl then push it down directly over the whipped cream. This helps to keep it fresh and from developing a “film” over the surface. The berries should be put together a few hours in advance so they have time to get nice and juicy. I wouldn’t make the berries more than 4-6 hours in advance, though, as they can get too squishy.
When you are ready to serve just slice your gluten free shortcakes in half and layer cake, ice cream, berries, whipped cream. As much or as little as your heart desires. 🙂
Red, White, and Blue Gluten Free Shortcake
Gluten Free Shortcakes (from Namaste Foods)
- 2 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend used Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend
- 2/3 cup Milk I used cow's milk but any milk will work
- 1 while egg
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8 Tbsp Butter cold cut into small pieces
- 1 lb Strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup Blueberries washed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream
Gluten Free Shortcake
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a small bowl, whisk egg then whisk in milk. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or two knives/forks, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Keep working until butter is evenly distributed and the butter is smaller than the size of small peas.
- Add in the liquid ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix or the shortcakes can be tough.
- Drop batter by the spoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With damp fingers, gently smooth out the dough to your desire.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Recipe will make 10-12 biscuit sized or 6-8 shortcake sized cakes.
- Wash, trim, hull, and slice up berries. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine berries and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whip heavy cream with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- If making whipped cream ahead, cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the whipped cream.
Assemble and Enjoy
- Slice Gluten Free Shortcakes in half. Layer cake, ice cream, berries, whipped cream then top with the top of the shortcake. Enjoy!
- I prefer drop biscuit style biscuits and shortcakes. However, if you prefer perfectly round shortcakes, you can press or roll the dough to make 3/4" thick circles. Again, be careful not to overwork the dough.
- The original shortcake recipe suggests increasing the sugar in the dough to 1/3 cup. As a diabetic, I chose not to add the additional sugar as the whipped cream, ice cream and berries are all sweet. This dessert was plenty sweet, so I don't feel it's necessary, but feel free to increase the sugar in the shortcakes if you so desire.
Crumbly, soy and gluten free shortcakes, sweet, fresh berries, gluten and soy free ice cream and fresh homemade whipped cream. Red, White and Blue Gluten Free Shortcake is a fabulous and “safe” dessert to celebrate with this summer.
Liz The form you have selected does not exist.
The form you have selected does not exist.